1. Stachybotrys mold is also known as black toxic mold. It is “toxic” because it is the type of mold that produces hazardous byproducts called mycotoxins.

2. Stachybotrys is a slow growing fungus that grows well on cellulose materials like straw, grass, saw dust, lumber, drywall board, and ceiling tile.

3. Like all fungi, strachybotrys requires a moisture source. Generally it grows where the humidity is above 55 percent or where material is water saturated.

4. Stachybotrys is sometimes difficult to detect because it grows on the back of drywall board in the wall cavity.

5. The health hazard occurs when the spores are breathed into the lungs. Chronic exposure report cold or flu-like symptoms, sore throat, diarrhea, headaches, and fatigue. Infants are particularly susceptible because their lungs are growing rapidly.

6. The air born spores are effectively removed by the HEPA paper in the Austin Air filter.

- Back to Contaminants List -