Ionic Air Purifiers / Ion Generators
What is an ionic air purifier?
Negative ion purifiers generate negative ions and distribute them into the room's air. The ions create a static charge which causes particles in the air to be attracted to the room's surfaces - walls, drapes, floors, table tops, curtains, occupants, etc. This process temporarily removes particles from the air, but does not remove them from the room. Often, they can be stirred up again when a gentle breeze from someone walking by etc.
What contaminants do ionic air purifiers remove?
Ionic air purifiers offer fair reduction of general dust, particulate, and common allergens; however, charged particles may cling to objects in the home and soil them. Since HEPA filtration offers better performance without the problems associated with ion generation, we do not recommend the use of ionic air purifiers in home or clinical air purifiers.
Evaluation of Ionic Air Purifier Technology
We have a number of very serious concerns regarding the safety and effectiveness of most ionic air purifiers. Accordingly, we do not recommend their use for any air purification task. In our opinion, there are more effective and much safer technologies available for a comparable price.
Most notably, ionic air purifiers generate significant levels of ozone which is widely recognized as a considerable health threat due to its ability to damage healthy lung tissue and otherwise irritate respiratory passages.
- authorities are concerned that the same electrical charge that attracts particles to a room's surfaces could also attract them to the lung tissue of the room's occupants.
- with particles being attracted to walls and furniture, there is some concern about these surfaces becoming soiled and for the contaminants being easily re-introduced to the air.
- ion purifiers are also known to generate ozone which, in addition to its previously mentioned health repercussions, is also known to be extremely corrosive to plastics and some metals - meaning that it can result in damage to household items, computers, wire insulation, duct work, pipes, etc.
Benefits of Ionic Air Purifier Technology
- no filters to replace
Negatives of Ionic Air Purifier Technology
- does not REMOVE contaminants - only temporarily removes then from the air
- charged particles may collect on surfaces in the room and soil them
- most systems produce significant amounts of the bi-product ozone, which is not only toxic, but can damage household electronics, plastics, and more
What to Look for in an Ionic Air Purifier
We do not recommend ionic air purifiers. A HEPA filter is a more effective choice for residential and clinical air purification.